Pages

13 February 2014

Mistress of Rosemere, by Sarah E. Ladd, Audiobook Review

Headmistress of Rosemere by Sarah E. Ladd
Review by 
Carrie Fancett Pagels

Story: This is like a cross between a Jane Austen and a Charlotte Bronte story and won't disappoint those fans! A great listen, lovely story, sweet and well developed cast of characters, lots of tension, and little Emma steals the story! This is only the second book Sarah has written and she's already grown so much as a writer. She delivers a wonderful HEA that will leave readers emotionally satisfied, which is so important. Brava, Sarah!


Audio narration: If you are considering audiobook, which is what I "read" with: I purchased the CD audiobook version first. The narrator has a somewhat depressed sounding voice and speaks slowly. Too slowly. So I went to Audible.com and downloaded this version and set the narration speed at 1.5 which worked out great on my Kindle Fire. Much better narration than performed by the narrator for Sarah's first novel's. Still wish they could have gotten someone who didn't make the story sound like such a tragedy, because it wasn't. This was an inspirational fiction and a narrator with some hope in her voice would have been better. Regardless, this was a great listen because of the quality of the book.

Giveaway: We're giving away a copy of both of Sarah's books this week, choice of format (international winners ebook or audiobook only.)

24 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with Sarah's writing. I've read both of her books and loved them. I can hardly wait for the third.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's so talented, Janet! I got to read and brainstorm about the beginning of this story with Sarah. Love how she and her editor brought the story out so beautifully!

      Delete
  2. Own the first book, and waiting till I can get the second book (either win or buy). Need some good books, as this winter looks like it will be a long one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great read with all those stormy moor scenes!!! Wishing you blessings, Martha!

      Delete
  3. Would so love to win a print copy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your review as always, CARRIE! This is a wonderful read...too bad the narrator made it sound depressing. I'm anxious to read Winterwood as well, as I have heard only wonderful things about it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana! This narrator is SO much better than the last one, though. And it was a great book!!!

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad to hear you liked the story, if not the narration :) I love the cover of this one! I already have her first book but I'd love to win The Headmistress of Rosemere! Thanks so much!

    colorvibrant at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cover is so nice. Thomas Nelson does a great job!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the good review Carrie.Wish the book had of had a better voice for you to enjoy. I love the covers on all of Sarah's books and the Era. And the stories sound very good. Still trying to win one. I still don't have one of hers. Please
    Put my name in. I know you sweet OWG girls wouldn't leave me out. :) Thanks for the giveaway. Maxie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the great thing for me is that, knowing Sarah, I was confident of what the voice should have been. So I tried to imagine Sarah reading it, with a more hopeful lilt in her voice! Blessings, Maxie!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the wonderful review, Carrie!!

    I haven't read either of Sarah's books, and would love to become acquainted with her writing!! Both books have wonderful, unusual, storylines, and beautiful covers!!

    bonnieroof60(at)yahoo(dot)com
    )WG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie! I think you would love both books! Thomas Nelson does seem to do good covers.

      Delete
  8. I'm really looking forward to reading Sarah's books sometime CARRIE... I think you've doubly sold me on her books if you can enthuse about them even with a depressed sounding narrator! I'm glad the second one was way better. Feel better Carrie.. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know--that really says something about the story that despite the depressed narrator the story shines through. Also, because I know Sarah, I was able to think how Sarah's voice would sound!

      Delete
  9. I've only listed to a couple of audio books. The narrator is very important.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the narrator can really blow a book, Mary. Sarah's first narrator was awful--I think the poor lady was sick or something.

      Delete
  10. This is one I would LOVE to read and pass down to my daughters....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love both Charlotte Bronte and Jane Austen and would love to win a print copy/ebook of this book. The winter landscape in the portrait on the cover looks very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, I loved Brone and Austen, growing up, too, and I think you'd love these stories.

      Delete
  12. Love the book cover.
    oh.hello.hiya@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great book
    You did a great review also Carrie
    God bless all of u
    Chris G
    granvilleATfrontiernetDOTnet

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics