Pages

17 August 2014

Interview with Cynthia Hickey, by Carrie Fancett Pagels

Author Cynthia Hickey

Cynthia Hickey is the author of Handcarved Christmas, and over thirty other book. I'm thrilled to be part of the series "Christmas Traditions," which Cynthia has led. Here's the beautiful banner she made for us.


Cynthia, welcome to Overcoming With God.  We appreciate your willingness to share your testimony of overcoming with our readers.  
Thank you so much! I’m excited to be a part of such a Christian community.
Would you tell us about one of the most difficult things in your life you have had to overcome, with God’s help? (transparency appreciated!)
Being a stepmother to three stepchildren, I had to find my place in their life. I was the wife of their father, but not their mother and strived to become their friend. Blended families are hard, and after twenty-five years of marriage, I sometimes still struggle as to where my boundaries are. Being an “A” type personality, I sometimes step where I’m not needed, or wanted. Still, the love is there, and since we have a yours, mine, and ours, holidays are a blast!
Disability friendliness: Is this latest release available in audio format or do you have any other works available on audio?  Do your e-books have audio capability? Do you have any in large print?  
Sadly, no! I would love to offer these formats in future, however. 
A Doctor's Heart by Cynthia Hickey

In this latest work, do you have any topics useful for bibliotherapy, or therapeutic influence through reading about a disorder or situation? 
Not really anything disabling, but the heroine in A Doctor’s Heart, jilted during the war by her soldier fiancé, has sworn to never fall in love with another military man. When she becomes pen pals with an Army doctor, her resolve is tested to its limits, especially when he returns wounded and has a prejudice against the very people she helps. Betsy volunteers at the prisoner hospital in Colorado, the same people, the doctor blames for his injury.
Thank you, for agreeing to answer these questions!

You are welcome. Thank you for having me.

As a reminder, if you want to be part of the Christmas Traditions promotion and influencer group, please email me at Carriepromo@aol.com.

Giveaway: We're giving away a copy of a Handcarved Christmas (ebook only) and a copy of A Doctor’s Heart.

32 comments:

  1. Welcome, Cynthia! We're so glad to have you here with us on the blog! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to reading all the novellas! I love Christmas-themed stories. Thanks for the giveaway!

    colorvibrant at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, Cynthia has published over 30 novels, which is impressive! I love Christmas novellas, too, and loved working with this talented lady!

      Delete
    2. Christmas stories are so much fun to write

      Delete
    3. Congrats, Heidi, because you will receive a copy of Cynthia's ebook Handcarved Christmas, which I just read and loved!

      Delete
  3. Kudos to you, Cynthia, and thanks for the interview, Carrie and Cynthia!!

    I think it takes a special person to successfully navigate being a stepmother in a blended family!! Those relationships are often hard even on the best of days!! It takes a willingness, forgiving and non-accusatory attitudes, and total commitment on the part of all involved (including BOTH natural parents as well as stepparents) to produce the most well-balanced children in all areas - physically, mentally, and spiritually.

    "A Doctor's Heart" sounds like a book of forgiveness and I would love to read it!!

    Post Shared!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even go into my nine years as a foster parent or the three we adopted. That, is waiting for a book

      Delete
  4. I love Christmas stories any time of the year.Thanks for the post,sounds like great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TY, Jackie, and thanks so much for agreeing to influence for this series. I like to start reading Christmas stories in October or so.

      Delete
    2. A Christmas story makes the season last longer!

      Delete
  5. Hi Cynthia,
    I would love to read one of your e Christmas books

    oh.hello.hiya@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting. Not the typical storyline. Thanks for sharing!
    Nancycooks4u ( at ) gmail ( dot ) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWII, a wounded doctor, Christmas and prejudice. That's my A Doctor's Heart story. The Christmas one is about a mail-order bride who isn't expected

      Delete
    2. You won A Doctor's Heart Nancy! Congrats! Email me to get your prize!

      Delete
  7. I would love to read your Christmas stories. I always enjoy medical stories also! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Cynthia! Enjoyed your interview :) (Thank you for that, Carrie!) I am 100% with you when you talk about being a part of this wonderful Community of Christian authors and readers! I tell people all the time how that blesses me! As a matter of fact, twice in the last two days! :) It's fun being in the family of God! You be blessed! Hugs from Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Carrie and my OWG girls. And thanks for hosting Cynthia here. I love the colorful looks of these books. Just know they will be good. And, a great bunch of authors. I was in that position also. Two stepkids, a teenage stepson and a young mother. The boy was okay except filling his mind with untruths. I was there when the last two babies were born. Think they were the kind of children who just didn't want to every marry again. But, we got through it with GOD's help. I am just gramma to the grandchildren and grammy to their 8 little ones. Would love to win Cynthia's book. Maxie > mac262(at)me(dot)com <

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you know how wonderful the holidays can be :)

      Delete
  10. It is a beautiful banner & I look forward to a fabulous read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to OWG Cynthia! After falling in love with your story A Christmas Castle in APCC which first introduced me to your writing, I can't wait to read this one also!! And the fact that it's about Christmas, only adds to its appeal! :-) Beautifully designed banner as well Cynthia, well done!
    I applaud you for your commitment and courage to strive to become the best parent you could be to your step-children. It can be hard enough with the trials and tribulations of the usual family dynamics so I can imagine how much harder you had to work at this. PTL for the overcoming you've done and the love you have in your home! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cynthia thank you so much for this fantastic interview. It's wonderful to have you with us on OWG, I am looking forward to reading all the books in this outstanding Christmas Series. I have to say Christmas is my favorite time of year and there's nothing I like better than reading books based on Christmas! :-)

    Thank you for giving others insight into what it's like to take two families and bring them together with GOD's help. Isn't it amazing that there is NOTHING too big for our GOD?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I held onto that thought a lot during the early years

      Delete
  13. Handcarved Christmas was loads of fun to write and I've enjoyed working with the other authors. Thank you for all the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cynthia, bless you for your love for children and their care!! I have some knowledge about foster parenting and adoption also, as years ago - I took classes to become a foster parent (however, the timing didn't work out for me then) and later worked in a children's home for abused and neglected children for 7 years - before retiring. Such a needed area for godly parents and influences - these kids are so needy - emotionally, physically, and spiritually!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is still a need, but our family is now complete and hubby and I are getting too old. I only pray the younger people will step forward and care for these children.

      Delete
  15. What a great interview! Thank you so much. Great authors write great books!!!!!

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics